Thursday, January 10, 2008

Happy Belated New Year!

Hi guys,
It's been a while since I've gotten to post here. My Mom fell on Dec. 13th and broke her hip, had surgery and is now in rehab. She's doing really well and is now walking with a walker and really getting around! Did I tell you she's 92? She'll be 93 in March and until she fell she walked every day which I'm sure has helped in her recovery. The problem is, she has Alzheimer's, and will probably end up in an assisted-living facility. The only other option we've been given is to bring her home with 24/7 skilled-nursing care. She has absolutely no awareness of safety issues, and will be in constant danger of falling again. She's very independent and doesn't realize that anything's wrong with her, so she thinks she can do anything she could do 30 years ago.

So wish me luck - we are looking into facilities right now, and there are 4 of us children, and we all have our own preference! My sister is a retired nurse and I will probably go along with what she wants to do, which will be 2 votes to 1 and 1, lol! But truly, my brothers will come around.

I hope to be able to post more regularly since things have settled down some with her being in rehab and doing good. I will post again tonight or tomorrow. I have some new products in my store that I'll show you and I have some exciting news also!

2 comments:

Gill said...

Oh Pat. Your poor Mom!! I am sure whatever place you choose, your Mom will be well cared for. Good Luck to you all.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about your mom's health and that you are being faced with such a difficult decision about where is best for her to live.
I have a website, http://www.plannedseniorhood.com, that may be helpful in your search. Not sure if there are any communities listed in the area where you are looking, but just in case.
Whatever your decision, I wish you and your family the very best.